Guide to Casino Tournaments
Casino tournaments are hot ticket items with plenty of cash up for grabs. These include Slots, Blackjack, Roulette, Video Poker, and Casino Hold’em tournaments.
What Are Casino Tournaments
Casino tournaments are high-profile competitive events featuring casino games and a field of players. Big money cash prizes are up for grabs in casino tournaments. Participants register to compete in thrilling sessions of play, to gain an edge over their opposition. During these riveting gaming events, players go head to head against one another in races, showdowns, or leaderboard challenges. Victory is the objective, and winners are handsomely rewarded for their efforts.
Casino tournaments, like poker tournaments, bring a field of players together in pursuit of a big-money purse. Many tournaments have low entry fees (buy-ins), but there are often super-sized prizes up for grabs. Players can pick and choose from a range of games and tournament buy-ins best suited to their preferences. Casino tournaments are readily available at standard online casinos with various slots, card games, and table games, and at live casinos too.
Anyone who enjoys competing against other players in pursuit of big rewards will invariably relish the prospect of a casino tournament. In almost every casino game, with the exception of poker, players compete directly against the casino. In blackjack, it's player versus dealer. In roulette, it's player versus dealer. In video poker and slots, it's player versus the RNGs. But with casino tournaments, it's player versus player to win the tournament prize.
Top Casinos to Play Casino Tournaments
Variations of Casino Tournaments
Over the years, casino tournaments have expanded to include an incredible number of games. At inception, casino tournaments were limited to poker tournaments, slots tournaments, and blackjack tournaments. Today's top-tier online casinos routinely provide registered players with access to a variety of low-cost tournaments. Without a doubt, it's the slots tournaments that rule the roost. As the most popular casino game in the house, slots tournaments reel players in by the truckload. Once known as one-arm bandits, slots are the moneymakers for players and the casino.
Slots tourneys are routinely offered at online casinos for a rather small entry fee. Land-based tournaments at Las Vegas Strip casinos are similar to many of the online slots tournaments. It's important to remember that slots tournaments are all about good fortune. The luckier you are, the more you will bank. The outcome of any given slot spin is completely independent of every other slot spin. In other words, there is no failsafe strategy to win a slot tournament, save effective bankroll management. Casinos recommend placing the maximum possible bet on the maximum possible number of pay lines to stand the best chance of winning.
With slots tournaments, players can win lots of money since there are guaranteed payouts for every tournament. Another reason why players compete in slots tournaments is the thrill factor. Traditional slots games can be rather monotonous, but tournament play pits you against other players for prizes. That makes them really exciting. It's worth pointing out that slots tournaments are usually played on a specific slot machine game. If you shop around, you can find online casinos offering slots tournaments on multiple slots games. Either way, you'll have to register to get started. If you're lucky, you may find a slots tournament with zero entry fees.
Blackjack tourneys are incredibly attractive to card players. As the quintessential casino card game, blackjack often goes toe to toe with poker as the players' game of choice. There are many different types of blackjack tournaments. These include elimination series blackjack tournaments where the competition gets whittled down as different phases of play are completed. As the showdown between blackjack players nears, the prize pool rapidly escalates. There are also standard blackjack tournaments with a single round of play. Much like poker, SNGs (Sit & Go) tournaments take place. Once all the seats at the table have been taken, the tournament begins in earnest. STTs (Single Table Tournaments) and MTTs (Multi-Table Tournaments) are showcased in grand style.
Similar to slots tournaments, blackjack tournaments are also affordable. That's part of their appeal. Blackjack tournaments shift the focus away from player versus dealer action to player versus player action. It's usually based on chip count. The player with the highest number of chips at the end of the tournament wins. Luckily, there are payouts awarded for the top 10 finishers and sometimes the top 100 finishers. Naturally, the payouts are biggest for the best players and smallest towards the lower end of the tournament winners circle. Much like poker, there are also satellite blackjack tournaments. This means that you can play your way to a big win in a prestigious tournament.
Sometimes, rebuy opportunities present in blackjack tournaments online. Contrary to opinion, there aren't a whole lot of online blackjack tournaments available to players nowadays. Skilled players lucky enough to find them stand to win significant cash prizes when they finish in the top tier. It’s the guaranteed payouts that make blackjack tourneys so exciting. Even if the number of entrants is low, the event still takes place with the same prize pool. Blackjack tournament types include live money blackjack tournaments, mini & major blackjack tournaments, accumulation tournaments, elimination tournaments, and SNGs.
Roulette is the spin & win attraction that keeps players coming back for more. Few games have the appeal of roulette, and the tournament format is super exciting. Unlike traditional online casino games of roulette, the tourney format is peppered with action. Players saddle up for a power-packed session of play. Tournament roulette online is rare, like blackjack. With enough player interest, roulette tournaments have the potential to rival blackjack tournaments.
Video Poker Tournaments
Video Poker tournaments are played differently from other tournaments. Players are typically given a set number of credits at the start of the gaming session. The tournaments last from 24-hours to 48 hours on average, with chips, used instead of cash and coins. At online casinos, players buy into these tournaments and have a set allocation of gambling credits allocated to them. Players will have time to play the video poker tournament. The video poker machines used in the tournament will track each player's gaming session, the number of available credits, and all winnings the player has accumulated over time. Only the top finishers get rewarded in video poker tournaments, not everybody who enters. When entry fees are levied, players may break even, perhaps even generating a small profit. Winners of video poker tournaments can walk away with substantial payouts.
Games You Can Play at Casino Tournaments
The types of games available at casino tournaments vary by each specific category. These include slots, card games, table games, and other games.
Slots– video slots with 5 reels, 6 reels +, progressive jackpot slots, daily jackpot slots, Megaways, and others.
Blackjack - Classic Blackjack, Atlantic City Blackjack, Vegas Strip Blackjack, Pontoon.
Roulette – European Roulette, American Roulette, French Roulette.
Video Poker – Aces & Faces, Tens or Better, Deuces Wild, Jacks or Better, Deuces and Jokers, Double Bonus Poker.
How to Join a Casino Tournament?
Online casino tournaments feature prominently with players. These tournaments span the full spectrum including slots, blackjack, baccarat, roulette, video poker, and more. Getting started with an online casino tournament is easy. Follow these steps.
- Pick a reputable online casino featuring a desirable tournament schedule. Slots tournaments are showcased at many leading online casinos.
- Download the casino software to compete in an online casino tournament. Nowadays, the majority of online casinos feature a download and a no-download version. But for tournaments, many operators require the software download.
- Installation of casino software is the next step. The software installs quickly and easily on Mac and PC. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the software installation.
- Get registered at the online casino to play real money casino games. Tournaments are only available to registered players. Input biographic information. Accurate information is required to proceed with the next steps.
- Fund your account with any of the listed payment methods on site. These typically include debit cards, credit cards, bank wires, and e-wallets.
- Enter a tournament by selecting from the lobby. The main menu of the casino features all of the available tournaments.
- Buy in to the tournament by paying the entry fee.
Basic Rules of Casino Tournaments
Casino tournaments are governed by a set of rules and regulations. These are set by casino management. The terms of play for casino tournaments warrant an understanding of the lingo.
- Entry fee – the entry fee is the equivalent of the buy-in. Whenever a player registers for a tournament, the entry fee has to be paid to participate.
- Buy-in - the buy-in pertains to poker contests at poker rooms. It's the amount that has to be paid to participate in a tournament. The bigger the buy-in, the bigger the poker pot.
- VIP Comps – VIP players tend to get the best treatment with comp points, rather than chips. These are also the rewards offered to players.
- Extender Tournaments - these types of tournaments allow players to buy add-ons to boost the payday at the end.
- In/Out of the Money – In the money indicates that a tournament player has made money in a challenge. Out of the money indicates that the player has lost money. To get into the money, you have to make it to the final table of a tournament.
- Freeroll Tournament - this is a specific type of tournament where new players register for a chance to win real cash.
- SNGs or S&Gs - these are known as Sit & Go tournaments. There is a set number of seats at the tournament.
- STTs and MTTs – Single Table Tournaments and Multi-table tournaments.
- Scheduled Tourneys – these are scheduled in advance, and players can pay the entry fees.
- One-shot slots tournaments – players are given a single chance to progress through to the next stage of the tournament.
- Survivor tournaments - these consist of multiple levels of play, each of which is an elimination stage. The top player wins the contest.
- Standard slots tournament rules - players receive a set number of credits for a slot machine game, with a time allocation for using those credits.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the most effective slots tournament strategy?
Slots are chance-based casino games where every spin counts. Since the outcomes of slot spins are independent of one another, wins can accrue at any time. The best tournament strategy is to maximize the value of every spin and spin as many times as you can. If available, the lightning spin feature should be used with max bets on max pay lines.
What is the most effective strategy for playing blackjack tournaments?
Blackjack has elements of skill and luck associated with it. Fortunately, blackjack is a numbers game. You can learn to play better blackjack by following basic blackjack strategy, using blackjack strategy charts, and blackjack odds calculators to make statistically safe decisions. Bankroll management goes a long way with the best blackjack strategy.
What are the differences between tournament blackjack and online casino blackjack?
Notable differences include the fact that tourney blackjack involves players competing against one another while online blackjack is players versus the dealer. In tournament blackjack, it's all about coming out with as many chips as possible at the end of the tournament. Players can also win substantial sums of money in tournament blackjack, much more than traditional online blackjack. Another point is worth mentioning: losses are limited in tournament blackjack to the entry fee. That's not the case with online blackjack since you can keep feeding your game.
How are winners declared in casino tournaments?
Each tournament is different. Slots tournaments for example feature players scrambling to rack up as many wins as possible within a session, or sessions of play. In blackjack tournaments, players often compete until they make it through to the final table. The player with the most chips wins. Online casinos can set specific rules for winners at their leisure.
What different types of online slots tournaments are there?
Online slots tournaments take various forms, including VIP tournaments, extender tournaments, one-shot tournaments, reloader tournaments, sit-and-go tournaments, Survivor series tournaments, scheduled tournaments, freeroll tournaments, and guaranteed tournaments.